Moxibustion is an oriental medicine therapy utilizing moxa, or mugwort herb. It has been used for centuries to promote longevity, maintain good health and as a preventative treatment.
Medical historians believe that moxibustion pre-dated acupuncture, and that needling came to supplement moxa after the 2nd century BC. Moxibustion plays an important role in the traditional medical systems of China, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Tibet, and Mongolia.
The mugwort herb is ground up to a fluff or fine wool like state and processed further into a stick that resembles a (non-smokable) cigar. Practitioners use moxa to warm regions and acupuncture points with the intention of stimulating circulation inducing a smoother flow of blood and chi. Scientific research has shown that mugwort acts as an emmenagogue, meaning that it stimulates blood-flow in the pelvic area and uterus. It is also a highly effective for cold and damp conditions in the body and for removing blockages.
Moxibustion can be used to treat a wide range of illnesses and is specifically useful for treating the following symptoms:
- Skin conditions such as eczema, urticaria, hives, shingles and various skin rashes. Moxa has a strong tonifying action on the skin as well as a strong anti-bacterial action.
- Chronic weakness and debility; immune system deficiencies, colds and flu.
- Respiratory illnesses, asthma, sinusitis, weak lung function, etc.
- Female gynecological problems related to the uterus and ovaries; PMT, irregular menstruation, dysmenorrhea, endometriosis, ovarian cysts, pelvic pain, infertility, boosting Artificial Insemination (AI) and IVF treatments, dyspareunia, frigidity, turning breach babies, dysuria, bacterial infections, prolapse of uterus, etc.
- Male impotence and infertility, low sperm count and motility.
- Digestive disorders such as diarrhea and colic.
- Arthritic conditions, tendonitis, RSI, tennis elbow.
Treatments available from Kenilworth, Cape Town. View the contact page for more info.